SPRING BREAK 2022

The calendar reads March 9th, but there is still a foot of snow on the ground, the temperature is hovering around 14 degrees, the sun is shining and for many young people it is a week designated for celebrating the end of winter. Spring break brings thoughts of careless carousing and foolishness that is better forgotten, but I suppose it might be called a rite of passage.

When winter’s final grip releases her icy hold on us, it’s such a relief. Our spirits soar, our coats come off, mittens are hidden in the recesses of the closet not to be donned for at least a few months. We breathe in fresh air instead of the stale, musty, dusty stuff that has permeated every inch of our homes. Curtains open, sun bathes each room with warmth and comfort. Windows may be cracked an inch or two simply to wash away the smells of the past duration. Memories of blooming gardens seep into our minds.

Interesting remnants of the long season pop up everywhere – the snake of a hose that never got rolled up in time for the first snow; the remains of withered weeds and overgrowth of un-mowed grass. The Adirondack chairs have now been designated as the Catarondack chairs, where the feral cats curl up and catch some rays.

King Solomon had a lot to say about the seasons in Eccleasiastes 3:1-8

“To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:  A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.”

I’m not sure Solomon is talking about spring break, but I think he’s covered part of it. There is a season for everything – a time for all things – but God is the One who controls all of it. With that in mind, each season has a purpose in our living as well. They can represent each stage of life we go through. In the spring comes new life – new beginnings, freshness and promise. In the summer heat of adolescence comes the coming of age, the rites of passage and learning about ourselves and others. In the autumn we start to fade some. Our colors are still brilliant and beautiful, but our capacity to do much physically, is waning. By the time winter comes, our bodies have withered and are ready for heaven.

So here we are – another SPRING BREAK. The world continues on a wayward path. Wars and rumors of more abound. Hatred and anger run rampant in our city streets. Justice is demanded but not always given or received. COVID remains a threat. Gas prices will undoubtedly go through the roof. Still, we can rely on the fact that God is the One who controls all of it – and the end result will always be good.

About atimetoshare.me

As I reach the end of my years, I find I have a lot of good information stored up in this old decrepit mind of mine. If I don't write it all down, it may vanish and no one will have the advantage of my thoughts. This is why this blog exists. I love the Lord, Jesus with all my heart and soul. I know I'm undeserving of all He's done for me, but I also know that His love is beyond my comprehension. I've always wanted to write. I never kept diaries, but tucked my thoughts in my head for future reference. I use them now in creating stories, plays, poetry and my blog. I continue to learn every day. I believe the compilation of our time spent with God will have huge affect on the way we live. I know I'm a sinner and I need a Savior. I have One through Jesus, Christ. My book, "Stages - a memoir," is about the seven stages of life from the perspective of a woman. It addresses all the things girls and women go through in life as they travel it with Jesus, and it is available on Amazon.com.
This entry was posted in aging, war and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to SPRING BREAK 2022

  1. hatrack4 says:

    This morning was supposed to be 70% chance of rain in the low 40s. We have a couple of inches of snow and it’s still coming down. The weather people never tell you what that other 30% could be.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. K.L. Hale says:

    Dear sweet Kathy, I’m so happy to read your writing tonight to end my day. You always lift my spirits with the promise of good news! I love how you used “Spring Break” even in quoting from Ecclesiastes. There is time for every purpose under heaven. Around here, as much as I love Spring, it seems the younger people are wearing less and less clothing (I digress…I won’t go there but a friend and I today were discussing this along with many other issues). May the season bring a new love for Christ. May the young and old who party up Spring Break learn about their Creator. We were all young. We’ve all been there. We’ve all sinned. And in these crazy times, without faith, many turn to crazy measures to cope. Lord, help us! I love you precious lady and pray for you and Paul daily, like always. Keep being a light!! 🤍💚💛

    Liked by 1 person

Comments are closed.