ORIGINALLY POSTED 9/7/14
Today is National Grandparent’s Day. There isn’t nearly as much hullabaloo as occurs on Mother’s or Father’s Day, but grandparents can play an important role in your child’s life. I have compiled a list of ten reasons why :
- They love your children unconditionally.
- They give their love first, their wisdom second and stuff third.
- They have time to spend with them which they didn’t have when you were growing up.
- They listen to them.
- They believe your children are the most amazing thing you’ve ever done.
- They teach, share and have confidence in them.
- They pray for your children.
- They believe that your children will accomplish great things.
- They give every last ounce of energy they have to spend time with them.
- They enjoy their company.
It’s a great blessing to be a grandparent. You get to see your children through your grandchildren. You see many of the things you missed because you were too busy, too involved in creating the perfect life for them or just plain too tired. God gives us that second chance just like He gives us a second chance to live in eternity with Him.
My granddaughter said it best on a handmade Christmas card she gave me a couple years ago. “You’re the best grandma – on my mother’s side.” She has always been an equal opportunity grandchild.
So to all you grandparents out there – enjoy this day. It’s your second chance to be a parent for a little while again. The best part of it is you can always return them at the end of the day.