Something happens to a person’s mind when they acquire a virus. I’m not talking about being hacked, although it seems I may have been. I am talking about the kind of virus that gets passed from person to person and hits you like a ton of bricks. I’ve learned that it’s probably something you have to wait out for the duration of seven to ten days. I’m on day eight and it doesn’t look like any relief is in sight.
When you’re confined to home with nothing to do but watch old westerns on TV – when you try to sleep but the constant dripping in the back of your throat continually tickles and stirs up a violent sounding cough which makes people think you’re dying – when your body aches so much that you feel you’ve been working out at the gym for 48 hours – something happens to your mind in the process. You start thinking – which could be considered disastrous for some, unusual for others and just plain weird for a few.
You think of how you could change the world:
- What if you could stop all violence just by holding up your hand and saying STOP?
- What if you voted and actually believed that your vote counted? What if it did?
- What if every politician was given a couple hundred dollars to spend on their campaign and if they went over the cap, they would be fined a couple hundred dollars which would then be divided up amongst the other candidates?
- What if people stopped looking at the negative side of things and started to care about each other again?
- What if we didn’t have to lock our doors?
- What if we didn’t have to fear for our lives when we shop at Walmart?
- What if someone invented something to eliminate viruses and the common cold?
- What if chocolate covered everything?
- What if ants covered the chocolate?
- What if you were devoured by chocolate covered ants?
As you see, I’m beginning to lose it again. Most of the things I’m asking for in my “what ifs” have to do with things that affect me personally. Maybe it would be better to turn that around a bit and see what would happen.
- What if there was no violence?
- What if all our elected officials had to pass a complete background check, sign an affidavit saying they had never done anything wrong and run for office based on their contribution to society?
- What if the internet had never been invented?
- What if people communicated face to face and learned to work their differences out together?
- What if someone invented a cure for viruses and it contained chocolate and ants?
Maybe I’m onto something.
Instead, I will stop trying to solve all the problems of our times by going to the couch and watching another episode of “How the West Was Won.” I wonder what would’ve happened had the west not been won.
Disclaimer: These ramblings are from a mind which has been sick for eight days and wants out. Any attempt at truth or sanity is beyond the capability of the author.