Having raised three children and watching them turn into responsible adults is really an accomplishment, but not one I can take credit for. Each generation has its own set of problems to deal with. Whether it’s a turn in sexual behavior or drug abuse; a change in the course of politics; a surge in unethical behavior; greed, violence, bullying – we as parents have a tough row to hoe. Here are ten suggestions to help you in this difficult, trying, sometimes frustrating and anxious walk, which I hope will give you some insight into this wonderfully exciting adventure:
- From little on, let them know about God’s love for them. Build a strong spiritual base for them. This is the foundation that will see them through anything.
- Shape their moral values by setting a good example.
- Encourage and support them, but don’t build them up
to the point of no return.
- Let them know that you have expectations of them – set down the rules as soon as they are old enough to understand and then follow through with them
- Trust is something that takes time to build. With our children, it should begin on day one. They are totally reliant on us. We need to return that trust to them as they grow older. By doing so, we are also depending that what we have taught them has actually sunk in.
- 6. Let them know that when we are angry with something they have done, it doesn’t change the love we have for them.
- Be vigilant about their physical well being. Watch for signs that things aren’t right and talk to your children about them. Always keep the lines of communication open.
- You are not your child’s buddy, you are his parent. Too often we give more material things to our children than we need to. They need our love, understanding, guidance and security – not our stuff.
- There are others out there that are experiencing the same things you are. It doesn’t make the job easier, but it helps to know that you aren’t alone.
- Trust in God’s direction for your child. Pray for them. Teach them God’s teachings through the daily study and encouragement of His Word. With God at your side all things are possible – even parenting.